Thursday, July 30, 2026

 TU’APULELULU SIULAI 30, 2026

‘AISEA 36-39; Luke 11:1-13


God answers our prayers not because we are worthy, but because he is a God of grace and is zealous for his own glory.


‘Oku ‘ikai ke tali ‘e he ‘Otua ‘etau lotu koe’uhi ‘oku tau taau, ka koe’uhi ko e ‘Otua Ia ‘o e kelesi pea ‘oku ne mamahi’i hono langilangi.


I probably couldn't get an audience with the president of the United States at the White House, no matter how hard I tried. In fact, I probably couldn't get an appointment at City Hall. These people of power, where decisions are made that affect my life in many ways, are for the most part closed to me. No one there wants to hear me talk about what I need. No one there is open to my opinion or cares for me personally. When it comes to the rooms of human power, where significant decisions are made, no one hears me when I cry out. In those places, the life and cares of Paul Tripp mean little. Such is life for most of us.


But, without even rising from the place where I am now seated, I can speak to the King of kings, the one who made and rules this world. He hears every word, knows me, understands me, cares for me, and always answers. He is never too busy, too distracted, or too disappointed in me to hear and answer. In the places of human power, I am not received or heard because those leaders have no incentive to receive or hear me. Yet the ruler of the universe welcomes me whenever and wherever I cry out. I come into his presence without an appointment and without having to argue for my worthiness. Why would God ever listen to my prayers? 


In Isaiah 37 King Hezekiah receives a letter that mocks God's presence, power,

and promises. The king doesn't respond, but spreads the letter out before the

Lord and prays:


O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth. Incline your ear, O LORD, and hear; open your eyes, O LORD, and see; and hear all the words of Sennacherib, which he has sent to mock the living God. Truly, O LORD, the kings of Assyria have laid waste all the nations and their lands, and have cast their gods into the fire. For they were no gods, but the work of men's hands, wood and stone. Therefore

they were destroyed. So now, O LORD our God, save us from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone are the LORD. (Isa. 37:15-20)


What gives Hezekiah the confidence to rush into God's presence and ask for his help? There is no indication that he appeals to his own righteousness. He comes to God trusting in his covenant promises, and he appeals to God's zeal for his glory to be known.


Our confidence in prayer is the same as Hezekiah's. It's based not on who we are, but on who God is and what he has promised his children.


No comments:

Post a Comment